Research and teaching in the areas of irrigation, drainage, on-farm water management, soil and water remediation, nutrient management, computer modelling of water and chemical movement in soils.
Exceptional students will be considered.
Integrated drainage/subirrigation systems for sustainable water management:
Overhead irrigation, subirrigation, controlled drainage, and free drainage are being evaluated in corn and potatoes for developing design and operation standards for the Prairies.
Time-domain Reflectometry applications in rootzone water uptake studies:
The TDR has been successfully interfaced with the computer for data acquisition and curve analysis. Mini-TDR probes have been built and calibrated to monitor the water uptake patterns within the root zone of corn and potatoes.
Application of HYDRUS to water management of crops.
Field data has been used to calibrate and validate the HYDRUS model under Prairie conditions. The validated model could be used to run simulations under different weather conditions.
Evaluation of electromagnetic methods for the detection of nutrients near livestock operations:
EM-38 meter is being evaluated to monitor nutrient content near livestock operations. This will help in the early detection of potential problems and thereby minimize the chances of groundwater contamination from confined livestock areas.
1. Rentz, J.W., R. Sri Ranjan, I.J. Ferguson, H.M. Hollander. 2021. Effects of salinity and water content on apparent conductivity in an alluvial setting in the Canadian prairies. Environmental Earth Sciences 80(3):93 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-021-09368-1
2. Ndulue, E. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2021. Performance of the FAO Penman-Monteith equation under limiting conditions and fourteen reference evapotranspiration models in southern Manitoba. Theoretical and Applied Climatology. 143:1285–1298. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-020-03505-9
3. Rentz, J.W., R. Sri Ranjan, H.M. Hollander. 2021. Hydrogeological investigation of soil salinity adjacent to a flood protection infrastructure. Environmental Earth Sciences. 80(1):19
4. Mante, A.A., R. Sri Ranjan and P. Bullock. 2018. Subsurface drainage for promoting soil strength for field operations in southern Manitoba. Soil & Tillage Research 184 (2018): 261-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2018.05.014
5. Mante, A.A. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2017. HYDRUS (2d/3d) simulation of water flow through sandy loam soil under potato cultivation in Southern Manitoba. Canadian Biosystems Engineering 59: 1.9 - 1.19. https://doi.org/10.7451/CBE.2017.59.1.9
6. Abbas, H. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2016. Effect of overhead irrigation on corn yield and quality under shallow water table conditions. Canadian Biosystems Engineering 58: 1.33-1.44. http://dx.doi.org/10.7451/CBE.2016.58.1.33
7. Tycholiz, C., I.J. Ferguson, B.L. Sherriff, M. Cordeiro, R. Sri Ranjan and M.A. Pérez-Flores. 2016. Geophysical delineation of salinity and acidity in the Central Manitoba Gold Mine Tailings Pile, Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Applied Geophysics 131(2016): 29-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jappgeo.2016.05.006
8. Cordeiro, M.R.C., V. Krahn, R. Sri Ranjan and S. Sager. 2015. Water table contribution and diurnal water redistribution within the corn root zone. Canadian Biosystems Engineering 57: 1.39-1.48. http://dx.doi.org/10.7451/CBE.2015.57.1.39
9. Cordeiro, M.R.C. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2015. DRAINMOD simulation of corn yield under different tile drain spacing in the Canadian Prairies. Transactions of the ASABE 58(6): 1481-1491. http://dx.doi.org/10.13031/trans.58.10768
10. Abbas, H. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2015. Effect of soil moisture deficit on marketable yield and quality of potatoes. Canadian Biosystems Engineering. 57: 1.25-1.37. http://dx.doi.org/10.7451/CBE.2015.57.1.25
11. Abbas, H. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2015. Groundwater contribution to irrigated potato production in the Canadian prairies. Canadian Biosystems Engineering. 57: 1.13-1.24. http://dx.doi.org/10.7451/CBE.2015.57.1.13
12. Satchithanantham, S. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2015. Evaluation of DRAINMOD for potato crop under cold conditions in the Canadian Prairies. Transactions of the ASABE. 58(2): 307-317. http://dx.doi.org/10.13031/trans.58.10300
13. Satchithanantham, S., R. Sri Ranjan, P. Bullock. 2014. Protecting water quality using controlled drainage as an agricultural BMP for potato production. Transactions of the ASABE. 57(3): 815-826. http://dx.doi.org/10.13031/trans.57.10385
14. Satchithanantham, S., V. Krahn, R. Sri Ranjan, and S. Sager. 2014. Shallow groundwater uptake and irrigation water redistribution within the potato root zone. Agricultural Water Management 132(2014): 101-110. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2013.10.011
15. Cordeiro, M.R.C., R. Sri Ranjan, I.J. Ferguson, and N. Cicek. 2014. Nitrate, phosphorus, and salt export through subsurface drainage from corn fields in the Canadian Prairies. Transactions of the ASABE 57(1): 43-50. http://dx.doi.org/10.13031/trans.56.10370
16. Adelakun, I.A. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2013. Design of a multilevel TDR probe for measuring soil water content at different depths. Transactions of the ASABE. 56(4): 1451-1460. http://dx.doi.org/10.13031/trans.56.10109
17. Satchithanantham, S., R. Sri Ranjan and B. Shewfelt. 2012. Effect of Water Table Management and Irrigation on Potato Yield. Transactions of the ASABE 55(6): 2175–2184. http://dx.doi.org/10.13031/2013.42509
18. Cordeiro, M.R.C. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2012. Corn yield response to drainage and subirrigation in the Canadian Prairies. Transactions of the ASABE 55(5): 1771-1780. http://dx.doi.org/10.13031/2013.42369
19. Cordeiro, Marcos R.C., R. Sri Ranjan and N. Cicek. 2011. Assessment of potential nutrient build-up around beef cattle production areas using electromagnetic induction. Environmental Technology 32(15): 1825-1833. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2011.559275
20. Cordeiro, M. R. C., R. Sri Ranjan, and I.J. Ferguson. 2011. Calibration models for electromagnetic induction methods to assess nutrient accumulation beneath confined livestock areas. Environmental Technology 32(1): 103-117. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2010.487921
21. Nalliah, V. and R. Sri Ranjan. 2010. Evaluation of a capillary- irrigation system for better yield and quality of hot pepper (Capsicum annum). Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 26(5): 807-816. http://dx.doi.org/10.13031/2013.34941