Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering which I joined in 1989. Am a P.Eng.(Manitoba) and a senior member of IEEE. Am principal investigator of the Advanced RF Systems Lab of the National Microelectronics and Photonics Testing Collaboratory (www.arfsl.ca ). Research focus is in the area of applied electromagnetics.
Currently research positions are available in the areas of: wireless sensors, bio-microfluidic devices, NRI materials
Development of wireless embeddable sensors for remote pH and temperature monitoring in chemical and biological applications; investigating integrated microfluidic-high frequency electronic sensors for detecting nanoparticles and single biological cells in fluidic suspension and measuring their dielectric properties; studying the application of nanosecond pulsed fields in single cell spectroscopy and electroporation; developing Maxwell’s equation based formulas for modeling transients on overhead lines and underground cables; developing nano-probe based instrumentation methods for high-frequency integrated circuit and materials characterization; novel computational electromagnetics algorithms; and studying the theoretical limits of abnormal wave propagation in negative refractive index media and experimental demonstration at microwave frequency.
Recent Publications (last ten years):
80. K. Mohammad, K. Braasch, E. Salimi, A. Bhide, B. Saboktakin-Rizi, M. Butler, G.E. Bridges and D.J. Thomson, “A Compact Microwave Frequency Reflectometer with attoFarad Sensitivity: a Path towards an Integrated Dielectrophoresis Cytometer”, Sensors and Actuators: A. Physical, 232, pp. 132-140, 2015.
79. S. Bhadra, C. Narvaez, D.J. Thomson and G.E. Bridges, “Non-destructive Detection of Fish Spoilage Using a Wireless Basic Volatile Sensor”, Talanta, v.134, pp. 718-723, 2015.
78. S. Bhadra, D.J. Thomson and G.E. Bridges, “Monitoring Acidic and Basic Volatile Concentration using a pH-electrode Passive Wireless Sensor”, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 209, pp. 803-810, 2015.
77. B. Saboktakin-Rizi, K. Braasch, M. Butler, G.E. Bridges and D.J. Thomson, “Monitoring the Dielectric Response of Single Cells following Mitochondrial Adenosine Triphosphate Synthase Inhibition by Oligomycin using a Dielectrophoretic Cytometer”, J. Biomicrofluidics, v.8, 06114, 2014.
76. K. Perveen, G.E. Bridges, S. Bhadra, and D.J. Thomson, “Corrosion Potential Sensor for Remote Monitoring of Civil Structure Based on Printed Circuit Board Sensor”, IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, v.63 (10), pp. 2422-2431, 2014.
75. S. Bhadra, W. Blunt, C. Dynowski, M. McDonald, D.J. Thomson, M.S. Freund, N. Cicek and G.E. Bridges, “Fluid Embeddable Coupled Coil Sensor for Wireless pH Monitoring in a Bioreactor”, IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, v.63 (5), pp. 1337-1346, 2014.
74. K. Braasch, M. Nikolic-Jaric, T. Cabel, E. Salimi, G.E. Bridges, D.J. Thomson and M. Butler, “The Changing Dielectric Properties of CHO Can be used to Determine Early Apoptotic Events in a Bioprocess”, J. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, v.110 (11), 2902-2914, 2013.
73. S. Bhadra, D.J. Thomson and G.E. Bridges, “A Wireless Embedded Passive Sensor for Monitoring the Corrosion Potential of Reinforcing Steel”, Smart Materials and Structures, v.22, 075019, 2013.
72. M. Ghafourian, G.E. Bridges and D.J. Thomson, “Wireless Overhead Line Temperature Sensor Based on RF Cavity”, Smart Materials and Structures, v. 22, 075010, 2013.
71. E. Salimi, D.J. Thomson and G.E. Bridges, “Membrane Dielectric Dispersion in Nanosecond Pulse Electroporation of Biological Cells”, IEEE Trans. Dielectrics and Insulation, v.20 (4), 1256-1265, 2013.
70. S. Bhadra, D.S.Y. Tan, D.J. Thomson, M.S. Freund and G.E. Bridges, “A Wireless Passive Sensor for Temperature Compensated Remote pH Monitoring”, IEEE Sensors J., v.13 (6), 2428-2436, 2013.
69. Marija Nikolic-Jaric, Tim Cabel, Elham Salimi, Ashlesha Bhide, Katrin Braasch, Michael Butler, Greg E. Bridges and Douglas J. Thomson, “Differential detector to monitor apoptosis using dielectrophoresis-induced translation of flowing cells (Dielectrophoresis Cytometry)”, Biomicrofluidics, vol. 7 (2), 024191, 2013.
68. M. Kandic and G.E. Bridges, “Asymptotic Limits of Negative Group Delay Phenomenon in Linear Causal Media”, Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 134, pp. 227-246, 2013.
67. G.E. Bridges and M. Kandic, “Gain Compensated Symmetric Loaded Transmission Line Exhibiting Bidirectional Negative Group Delay”, Applied Physics A. vol. 109, issue 4, pp. 1087-1093, 2012.
65. O.A. Nova, J.C. Bohorquez, N.M. Pena, G.E. Bridges, L. Shafai and C. Shafai, “Design Procedure of a Filter-Antenna Module Implemented in Substrate Integrated Waveguide Technology”, Special issue of IEEE-LASCAS2011, J. Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, vol. 73, Issue 3, pp. 895-907, 2012.
64. Marija Nikolic-Jaric, Sean F. Romaniuk, Graham A. Ferrier, Tim Cabel, Elham Salimi, David B. Levin, Greg E. Bridges and Douglas J. Thomson, “Electronic Detection of Dielectrophoretic Forces Exerted on Particles Flowing over Interdigitated Electrodes”, J. Biomicrofluidics, vol. 6 (2), 024117, 15 pages, 2012. Also selected for publication in Virtual J. of Nanoscale Science and Technology published by APS/AIP.
63. I. Yahyaie, D.A. Buchanan, G.E. Bridges, D.J. Thomson and D.R. Oliver, “High-Resolution Imaging of Gigahertz Polarization Response Arising From the Interference of Reflected Surface Acoustic Waves”, IEEE Trans. Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1212-1218, 2012.
62. S. Bonyadi-ram, B. Kordi and G.E. Bridges, “A Full-Space Conformal Mapping for the Calculation of Series Impedance of Overhead Transmission Lines and Underground Cables”, J. Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 91, pp. 95-103, 2012.
66. Z.X. Cao, M. Harder, L. Fu, B. Zhang, W. Lu, G.E. Bridges, Y.S. Gui and C.-M. Hu, “Nondestructive Two-Dimensional Phase Imaging of Embedded Defects via On-Chip Spintronic Sensor”, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, 152406-1-3, 2011.
61. M. Nikolic-Jaric, G.A. Ferrier, D.J. Thomson, G.E. Bridges and M.R. Freeman, “Dielectric Response of Particles in Flowing Media: The Effect of Shear-Induced Rotation on the Variation in Particle Polarizability”, Physical Review E, vol. 84, 011922, 2011.
60. S. Bhadra, G.E. Bridges, D.J. Thomson and M.S. Freund, “Electrode Potential Based Coupled Coil Sensor for remote pH Monitoring”, IEEE Sensors Journal (Special Issue of Best Papers from IEEE Sensors 2010 Intl. Conf.). vol. 11(11), pp. 2813-2819, 2011. Invited Paper.
59. M. Kandic and G.E. Bridges, “Bilateral Gain-Compensated Negative Group Delay Circuit”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 21(6), pp. 308-310, 2011.
58. M. Kandic and G.E. Bridges, “Asymptotic Limits of Negative Group Delay in Active Resonator-Based Distributed Circuits”, IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems–I, vol. 58(8), pp. 1727-1735, 2011.
57. S. Bhadra, G.E. Bridges, D.J. Thomson and M.S. Freund, “A Wireless Passive Sensor for Remote pH Monitoring”, ASME - J. Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, vol. 2, 4 pages, Feb. 2011.
56. O.A. Nova, J.C. Bohorquez, N.M. Pena, G.E. Bridges, L. Shafai and C. Shafai, “Filter-Antenna Module using Substrate Integrated Waveguide Cavities”, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 10, pp. 59-62, 2011.
55. A. Wirthmann, X. Fan, Y.S. Gui, K. Martens, G. Williams, J. Dietrich, G.E. Bridges and C.-M. Hu, “Direct Phase Probing and Mapping via Spintronic Michelson Interferometry”, Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 105 (1), Article Number 017202, June 30, 2010.
54. M. Heshmatzadeh and G.E. Bridges, “Finite Formulation for Modeling Guided Wave Structures Embedded in a Lossy Half-Space”, Intl. Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering, Science and Mechanics, vol. 11 (3), pp. 146-156, 2010.
53. D.J. Thomson, D. Card and G.E. Bridges, “RF Cavity Passive Wireless Sensors with Time-Domain-Gating-Based Interrogation for SHM of Civil Structures”, IEEE Sensors Journal: Special issue on Sensor Systems for Structural Health Monitoring, vol. 9 (11), pp. 1430-1438, 2009.
52. M. Nikolic-Jaric, S.F. Romanuik, G.A. Ferrier, G.E. Bridges, M. Butler, K. Sunley, D.J. Thomson and M.R. Freeman, “Microwave Frequency Sensor for Detection of Biological Cells in Microfluidic Channels”, Biomicrofluidics, 3 (3), 034103, 15 pages, 2009.
51. G.A. Ferrier, S.F. Romanuik, D.J. Thomson, G.E. Bridges and M.R. Freeman, “A Microwave Interferometric System for Simultaneous Actuation and Detection of Single Biological Cells”, LAB ON A CHIP, vol. 9 (23), pp. 3406-3412, 2009.
50. A. Pu, D.J. Thomson and G.E. Bridges, “Location of Current Carrying Failure Sites in Integrated Circuits by Magnetic Force Microscopy at Large Probe-to-Sample Separation”, Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 86 (1), pp. 16-23, 2009.
49. G.A. Ferrier, A.N. Hladio, D.J. Thomson, G.E. Bridges, M. Hedayatipoor, A. Olson and M.R. Freeman, “Microfluidic Electromanipulation with Capacitive Detection for the Mechanical Analysis of Cells”, Biomicrofluidics, 2, 044102, 13 pages, 2008. Also selected for publication in Virtual J. of Biological Physics Research published by APS/AIP, vol. 18, issue 4.
48. B. Kordi, G.E. Bridges, J. LoVetri and J.E. Nordstrom, “Full-Wave-Based Transmission-Line Model for Lossy-Substrate Multiconductor Interconnects”, Intl. J. of Numerical Modelling: Networks, Devices and Fields, vol. 21, pp. 103-115, 2008.
47. K.M. Cheng, Z. Weng, D.R. Oliver, D.J. Thomson and G.E. Bridges, “Micro-electromechanical Resonator Characterization using Non-contact Parametric Electrostatic Excitation and Probing”, IEEE/ASME J. of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 16, pp. 1054-1060, 2007.
46. M. Heshmatzadeh and G.E. Bridges, “A Geometrical Comparison Between Cell Method and Finite Element Method in Electrostatics”, Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 45-58, 2007.
45. Z.H. Zhao, G.E. Bridges and D.J. Thomson, “Direct Evidence of “Spring Softening” Nonlinearity in Micromachined Mechanical Resonator using Optical Beam Deflection Technique”, Journal Vacuum Science and Technology-A, vol. A-24, pp. 732-736, 2006.
44. Z. Weng, T. Kaminski, G.E. Bridges and D.J. Thomson, “Dynamic Electrostatic Force-Gradient Microscopy Employing Mechanoelectric Cross Modulation”, Journal Vacuum Science and Technology-A, vol. A-24, pp. 673-677, 2006.
43. B. Kordi, J. LoVetri and G.E. Bridges, “Finite-Difference Analysis of Dispersive Transmission Lines within a Circuit Simulator”, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 21, pp. 234-242, 2006.
42. J. Chuang, D.J. Thomson and G.E. Bridges, “Embeddable Wireless Strain Sensor Based on Resonant RF Cavities”, Review Scientific Instruments, vol. 76, 094703, 7 pages, 2005.
41. M. Heshmatzadeh, X. Zhou, G.E. Bridges and G. Williams, “High-Frequency Giant Magnetoimpedance Measurement and Complex Permeability Behavoir of Soft Magnetic Co-Based Ribbons, IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 41, pp. 2328-2333, 2005.